The Heartland Community of Mindful Living (HCML) has gathered for evenings of mindfulness weekly since 1997 in the tradition of Zen Master and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh, a tradition renowned for its gentleness and kindness.
It is our mission to:
- cultivate the practice of mindfulness in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh
- be a community where anyone interested in the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh can find a practice home
- cultivate a vibrant mindfulness practice community in Kansas City and the surrounding region.
- sitting and walking meditation
- listening to Dharma talks
- reciting the Mindfulness Trainings
- engaging in Dharma discussion
- sharing our experiences with mindful living in the safe atmosphere of loving speech and deep listening.
We also host days of mindfulness and weekend retreats, inviting the larger community to enjoy extended practice opportunities with us.
Over time, real transformation occurs, as our lifelong struggles with sorrow, anxiety, and alienation diminish and as our friendships, gratitude, compassion and freedom blossom. This is the fruit of the practice of mindful living.